BPTO publishes phase III of the Patent Prosecution Highway (PPH) Program
The Brazilian Patent and Trademark Office (BPTO) published, by means of Ordinance n° 55, dated December 15, 2021, phase III of the Patent Prosecution Highway (PPH) shared examination Pilot Project.In order to participate in the PPH program, the application shall meet the following conditions
- It must belong to a patent family wherein at least the oldest application was filed at the BPTO or at a Patent Office that has a PPH agreement with the BPTO, or wherein at least one of these offices was selected as receiving office under the PCT;
- It must belong to a patent family wherein a Patent Office that has a PPH agreement with the BPTO has issued: 1) a granting or allowance decision; OR 2) an International Preliminary Report on Patentability (IPRP) indicating patentable subject matter in the application;
- It must belong to a patent family wherein the patent office that has a PPH agreement with the BPTO has performed a technical examination on merits and indicated patentable subject matter in the application.
The Patent Offices of the oldest priority, issuing an allowance/granting decision or issuing the IPRP may be different therebetween, provided that all have a PPH agreement with Brazil.
Currently, the following Countries/Regions have a PPH agreement with Brazil: Austria, China, Denmark, EPO, Japan, Portugal, United Kingdom, Singapore, South Korea, USA and Sweden.
Furthermore, the program continues to contemplate patent applications that claim protection for innovations belonging to all areas of knowledge, enabling to seek protection for subject matters that are identical or more restricted than those considered patentable by the office of the first examination, and to forbidden addition of any matter not examined by said office.
This new phase of the PPH follows the same criteria previously established in phase II, with the following changes now introduced:
– The request must occur between 01/01/2022 and 12/31/2024;
– The result from IPRP is now accepted as a basis for PPH requirements, limited to 100 requirements of PCT-PPH per year;
– Phase III is restricted to 800 PPH requirements per annual cycle, which will obey the order of the date and time of the priority request protocol.
As in phase II, there is a limit of 150 requirements per International Patent Classification Section (IPC) per year and of a single requirement of the same owner or applicant per week.
If you are interested in obtaining more details, have specific questions or wish to participate in the program, do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last related news
November 21, 2023
The protection of IP rights in the new Brazilian sports law
The enactment of Law No. 14,597/2023 (known as General Sports Law – GSL) in June of this year marks a milestone for … The protection of IP rights in the new Brazilian sports law
November 7, 2023
Brazilian Finance Ministry Issues New Regulation For Sports Betting Market
On October 27, the Brazilian Finance Ministry (MF) issued a significant regulatory milestone for sports betting activities (Ordinance No. 1,300/2023) which establishes the … Brazilian Finance Ministry Issues New Regulation For Sports Betting Market
October 30, 2023
ANVISA’s Personal Data Protection Policy is released
On October 19, 2023, the Federal Official Gazette (DOU) published Administrative Order 1,184/2023, which provides for the National Health Surveillance Agency’s (Anvisa) … ANVISA’s Personal Data Protection Policy is released